Miss Beatrix Potter Hen

Miss Beatrix Potter Hen
Miss Bea posing for Mama!

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Good Morning !

   Good morning ! And, oh what a beautiful morning it is !  I am most blessed to have a day of sunshine,blue sky, a gentle breeze and graced to be wrapped in His Sonshine. 
   So, I've been thinking about getting a rooster. Yes, a rooster. I know what you all may be thinking...roosters spell TROUBLE. Well, even after mentioning this to one of my very learned poultry pals, and listening to his warnings, I am still considering it. David on the other hand, is not so keen on the idea but I'm working on him. Roosters do come with pros and not just cons and some I've heard are actually quite gentle and friendly. Who knew ? First, a rooster will protect my sweet flock from predators. Secondly, my little farm just doesn't seem complete without a rooster prancing around strutting his stuff.  Third, I do like sound of a great cock-a-doodle-do ! David does not.  And, finally, as I mentioned in my welcome post, I would like to raise Delaware chickens. It is my absolute favorite breed and is considered to be threatened by the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, an organization which provides information on livestock and helps to protect over 180 breeds of historic livestock and poultry from becoming extinct.  They are working to conserve these historic or heritage breeds and their genetic diversity. When I began keeping chickens in the spring of 2010, I got six day old chicks, one of which was my beloved Delaware, Cordelia.  She was the friendliest out of the flock and often sat in my lap, liked to nibble at my hair, was my constant shadow, and  complained a bit when I attempted to photograph her. Unfortunately, she died when she was just over a year old this past summer. 
   Anyway, to get a rooster or to not get a rooster...that is the question.  Stay tuned for the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment