- Go on a traditional picnic! Checkered blanket in hand, picnic basket stuffed to the gills with old fashioned goodies like fried chicken, potato salad, deviled eggs, fresh fruit, cheeses, a jug of sweet tea or lemonade and a scrump-deli-icious sweet dessert to cap off your meal and your set to go! Head on out to a nearby lake or park and enjoy! Simply enjoy each other's company, chatting away the hours while feasting on simple homemade delights. No reservations required! Who knows, picnicking may become a new dating tradition!
- Take a walk through a nearby historic town, browsing the quaint shops and wares. Many of these small towns are lit up at night which adds that special romantic touch to an already lovely evening!
- Stay IN! Wait until your young cherubs have turned out their lights and have your very own popcorn and movie night right there in your own family room. No worries about paying exorbitant prices for movie tickets, waiting in line, or missing the best part because you needed a bathroom break. And, you can smooch with your sweetheart in the privacy of your own theater!
- Go for a "Sunday Drive" on a Friday or Saturday evening, throwing caution to the wind and just winding around the nearby back country roads. Of course if you live smack dab in the middle of a great big city, you may have to travel a bit to get to the peaceful countryside, but I guarantee you, it's great fun!
- Take a hike through nature! Hold hands and chat about this and that as you admire the beauty and splendor of God's creation! Or, just be quiet and listen. Nature will play her own melodies for your listening pleasure! Perhaps, you have an eye for a perfect photograph...take along your camera and let nature take it's course!
- Marvel at the magnificence of a museum's many treasures! Many museums offer free admission on Sundays! Be an art critic, satisfy your inner history buff, reminisce or ponder antique displays of days gone by, stare in awe at well crafted wax look-a-likes, or envision yourselves behind the wheels of Henry Ford's baby, the Model T!
- Take up a mutually satisfying new hobby, activity, or sport together! Try your hand at tennis, photography, or kayaking! Perhaps, host a weekly Italian Cuisine night and create a new dish each week, reveling in the intoxicating smells, taste testing, and garlic's health benefits a plenty! Again, wait until the kids say goodnight, after all, those quirky Europeans do tend to dine a bit later than we do! Or maybe you're a natural at languages and have always wanted to learn the "Oh so very romantic" French language. These days you can find lots of online courses for free. So, Ooo La La get to it!
- Volunteer together! While this activity offers you the chance to spend quality time together, it certainly gives new meaning to quality time!
- For all you bibliophiles out there, why not host a Book Club for Two! Take turns choosing books or authors and settle down on the couch, with a pleasingly aromatic cup of your favorite coffee in hand and chat about the mysterious plot twists, the brave protagonist, the naivete of a victim, or an unexpected ending!
Well, I hope one of these suggestions will find it's way into your dayplanner or perhaps, these ideas inspired a spark of creativity in you and you came up with your own unique budget friendly date night! I say, "Kudos to you-dos!"
Just keep in mind, that romance doesn't have to be expensive, just romantic!!!!!!!
Happy date night to you all!!!!