Miss Beatrix Potter Hen

Miss Beatrix Potter Hen
Miss Bea posing for Mama!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Found: The Right Sites for the Writer!

A bird does not sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song!- Maya Angelou

I just love this quote. It seems to sum up the way I feel about writing. I don't write because I have answers, I write because I have oodles and oodles of words swirling and dancing around in my head.  I LOVE to write! I always have.

As a freelance writer, I have sought out books, websites, and blogs that teach the craft of writing, offer advice and tips, suggest paths to follow, and provide a listing of job opportunities. I thought I would share with you those that have helped me the most.

Clearly, Writer's Digest website is number one. As the publishers of Writer's Market and Writer's Digest Magazine, these folks know writing. Though this site charges a small fee of about $5 per month, it is a small price to pay for quality writing advice. They offer words of wisdom through their blogs and writer's community, webinars and tutorials through Writer's Digest University offered at a discount for members, as well as,a myriad of excellent reference books also available at a discounted price. I subscribe to online editor, Brian Klems, blog, Writer's Digs where he shares helpful grammar and usage tips, interviews, contest invitations, and more. I highly recommend stopping by and visiting Writer's Digest.

The second site I find extremely helpful is Freelance Writing aka www.freelancewriters.com. At Freelance Writing you will find abundant writing resources such as tutorials, articles about the craft of writing, a job board, and writing contests. Brian Scott, the editor, and fellow blogger at Creative Genius 101  also invites you to follow Freelance Writing's companion Facebook page, Facebook4Freelancers

Recently, I joined LinkedIn, an online community for  professionals of any field. It's a great place to make connections and search for jobs. LinkedIn also offers a wide variety of groups to join within your field for furthering connections, sharing advice, and seeking comeraderie. Some of the groups I've joined are The Blog Zone, The Writer's Hangout, LinkEds + Writers, and The Freelance Writers.

Another great resource that I happened on recently, is The Write Life which is literally filled to the gills with resources.

I hope to periodically add to this list as it is no where near comprehensive. Google will wholeheartedly agree.
And, I invite you to send me a note at karendoll521@yahoo.com or add a comment below and let me know of any quality writer resources you feel would complement this list. I'm always searching for true wisdom to help me hone my craft!

Wishing you Writing Wisdom,
Karen








No comments:

Post a Comment