Miss Beatrix Potter Hen

Miss Beatrix Potter Hen
Miss Bea posing for Mama!

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Life Lessons My Chickens Taught Me!

Chickens are beautiful, egg-straordinary creatures! They're intelligent, social, inquisitive, vociferous and quite entertaining! I absolutely love my sweet flock of chickens. They truly captivate my senses and I find myself egg-cited to wake in the morning so I can visit and catch up on the latest gossip around the hen house. Cluck if you too are a CrAzY chicken lady (or gentleman, they don't discriminate)! Cluck, cluck!

Spending time with my happy hens, whether it be sitting with them inside their little house or interacting with them as they egg-splore and forage around the backyard, is one of my favorite things to do. They make me smile and laugh out loud. They teach me about life. And, while I've learned so much about keeping chickens since cradling my first wee peeps several years ago, my frolicky feathered friends have taught me so much more about life itself!

  • Cluck if you're happy! Chickens wear their heart on their wings and when they feel good they show it and quite boisterously at times!It's just like the lyrics from the beloved children's song,"If Your Happy and You Know It,"- if you're happy and you know it, feel it, and want to shout it from the rooftops, go ahead and do it. Be happy! Be filled with joy and share that joy. God wishes for us to truly enjoy life!
                   "Command those who are rich in this world's goods not to be haughty
                    or to set their hope on riches which are uncertain, but on God who
                    richly provides us with all things for our enjoyment."    - 1 Timothy 6:17    


  •  Play heartily and play often! Chickens, much like we were when we were children, live to play! Chickens are curious, social, lively creatures. They like to be busy and thrive in an environment that nurtures this egg-uberance. Play is not only fun, it's healthy too! Active bodies are healthy bodies. 


         
  • Enjoy a lovely bath! It is quite an egg-sperience to watch my chickens flopping around in the dirt tossing loose dirt all over themselves! They truly do enjoy a lovely bath! A hot relaxing bath is a great way to relax at the end of a long and stressful day. Make it an occasion though-add scent-sational smelling candles, some delightfully frivolous bubbles, and some merry melodies and you've got yourself a perfect evening! You may even want to bring along a good book and really relax! Here's to the ultimate bath egg-sperience...Cheers!
       
  • Rest! Chickens understand the value of rest. Although, they are usually busy bees, chickens also love to bask in the warm sun. Who doesn't? The merits of a short rest under the sun are plentiful! Our bodies need vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin, and while you can get the daily recommended dose from vitamins and supplements, many do not. So, slather your skin with sunscreen and reap the rewards of a relaxing dose of D-research shows that vitamin D helps boost our immune system, helps reduce the risk of cancer and type 2 diabetes, aids eye health, helps to strengthen bones, helps to lower blood pressure, improves metabolism and mostly, it just plain feels good! So grab a good book, a nice tall glass of lemonade and rest a spell! Be sure to remember to use sunscreen though!!
  • Wake with the sun and go to sleep with the sun. Chickens live their lives on a farmers' time clock. As Benjamin Franklin once said, "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and wise." Sound advice, I believe. I don't know about wealthy and wise, but it is healthy for our bodies to keep to a routine. 
  • Share a meal with friends! Chickens LOVE LOVE LOVE to eat! It's just a fact of life. Watching them heartily "dig in" to a healthy bowl of goodness is beauty to my eyes and hearing the rhythm of their peck, peck, pecking is music to my ears. And, believe me when I say, they don't miss a beat! Sharing a meal with good friends is good for the mind, body and soul. It's refreshing and rejuvenating. It's a lovely way to connect with the people we care about most in our lives.          
  • EGG-cersize daily-It does a body good! Chickens are busy social creatures and enjoy nothing more than moving around. One of a chicken's favorite activities is egg-sploring and foraging. Free ranging, whether it be for shorter periods of time or an all day affair, is time well spent for my fine feathered friends. Free ranging for chickens benefits them twofold-while it keeps them active and moving about, thus keeping them fit as a fiddle, it also provides them the egg-straordinary opportunity to peck at nature's goodness. Everything from seeds and weeds and bugs and grubs to edible herbs and flowers chock full of essential vitamins and nutrients can be found in nature's bounty. For me, exercising means a delightfully brisk walk through our lovely back country roads. It keeps me fit, relieves stress, and is quite pleasing to the eyes, as well. Fitness doesn't have to be excrutiatingly tiresome, dull and the same old same old. So, take a walk! As Robert Frost so articulately suggested "Take the road less traveled". You'll get fit and you just might make some amazing discoveries along the way. 

         Wishing you a life filled with great joy, abundant peace, and an open mind-always be open to learning,no matter what the source! Enjoy, my friends!

7 comments:

  1. We could all learn a few things by paying attention to chickens, Karen. Thanks for the reminders. :)

    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop!

    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love chickens! your chickens are very wise and they look very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, wise beyond their years!! And, yes I think they're a happy bunch! They definitely give me great joy, make me smile and laugh out loud, and offer me unconditional friendship with a feather on top!!

    Thanks for your comment, Anita!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun...Chickens are far more entertaining than I was giving them credit for--not being a bird person. Now, what about those roosters?

    We met via the WD Challenge...thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on the feather, Rose!! As for those imfamous yet regal roosters, we don't currently house any gentlemen friends for me hens. My husband is anti-roo for the time being. Perhaps one day, far into the future, when we're relaxing in the south of France, a gallant feathery gentleman will belt our a crow to beat all crows...but wait, that came from MY backyrad!!

      Delete
  5. Cluck, cluck. I love this post, Karen. I look forward to reading more about your adventures as a crazy chicken lady (from one to another). :)

    (Sorry if this is a duplicate post. My first comment disappeared when I went to sign in and I don't know if it went through.)

    ReplyDelete